RENTAL PROCEDURES AND RULES
Northbrae Event Host:
A Northbrae staff member will be present to assist with the event and must be present during the hours of your use. Northbrae staff will be responsible for opening and closing the building.
Setup and Cleanup:
Northbrae staff will be responsible for putting up tables and chairs, setting up microphones (in Haver Hall or Chapel only), providing a podium, etc. To do this we must have a room diagram at least one week in advance, or we will assume you will do your own set up at the beginning of your reserved time. After your event, Northbrae staff will break down tables and chairs and sweep the floor. The renter is responsible for cleaning the space and removing all trash. Trash should be placed in garbage bags and deposited outside in the dumpster. Decorations and equipment, if any, should be installed immediately before the event, and removed immediately after by the renter.
Northbrae closes no later than 10 PM. The rooms used must be completely cleaned up and inspected by Northbrae staff by 10 PM. Therefore, large events with extensive cleaning, sound equipment, and decorations must end at approximately 9 PM to allow time for cleanup, and smaller events with less cleanup by no later than 9:30 PM.
Please arrange for use of the kitchen in advance. In some instances, more than one group may be using the kitchen at the same time for preparation of refreshments. We ask your courtesy and cooperation in sharing kitchen use.
Events at Northbrae must comply with the City of Berkeley Sound Ordinances (Chapter 13.40, Community Noise, Berkeley Municipal Code). Northbrae is situated in a residential area, and we are very sensitive to maintaining a sensible and legal sound limit. If sound anywhere on the campus exceeds the noise limit prescribed by the Berkeley code, you will be warned by the Northbrae staff to reduce the sound level. If amplified sound is used, you will be warned to turn it down. If unacceptable sound levels persist, the amplified sound will be turned off. The ordinance also prohibits loud or raucous yelling, shouting, etc. that causes a noise disturbance.
If alcohol is served, the renter must provide insurance in the amount of $1,000,000. Most caterers have this insurance.
Other Procedures and Rules:
- Include setup time and cleanup time in your request for use of a room.
- Caterers have access to the kitchen 2 hours prior to the scheduled hours of your use.
- Observe Northbrae rules for use of the common areas of the building, including rules during the Covid pandemic. Rules are posted and are subject to change. Rules published by the City of Berkeley Health Department must be observed. It is the responsibility of the renter for the events to monitor that the rules and assure they are being observed.
- The Nursery is not available for child care unless arrangements are made through the office for use of that room, a fee paid for room use, and you secure a competent child care person.
- When you make arrangements for use of a room, your use includes that area, the nearest entrances to the area, the surrounding hall and the restrooms. Often more than one group will be meeting at the same time, and we ask that you and your group respect the needs of others.
- Let us know of your intention to use the piano in the room you have scheduled. Pianos are located in the Chapel, Haver Hall, and Parlor. No moving of pianos is allowed under any circumstances except by Northbrae staff. If you wish to have a piano tuned to your specifications, you may do so at your own expense after consulting and scheduling the tuning with the church office.
- Decorations, signs and posters may not be attached to any wallpaper or plaster, but may be attached to wood surfaces with easily removable tape.
- No smoking is permitted in the buildings. We ask that your group members use consideration when they smoke outside our buildings, and not litter entry areas with discarded cigarettes, etc.
- Northbrae may be involved in repairs, remodeling or renovation of our facilities and/or gardens from time to time. We will make every effort not to have these projects interfere with your activities. Nevertheless, Northbrae will make no guarantee as to the condition of grounds and/or facilities due to remodeling, renovation or unforeseen repairs.